By keeping some basic guidelines in mind, you can learn about how to have long lasting spray paint. Spray painting can be a time consuming process, but when done properly, will last for years.
- Spray paint
- Micro fiber towel
- 300 grit sandpaper
- 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, and 2000 grit wetsand paper
- Clear coat
- Rubbing compound
- Start by removing the part that needs to be painted. Sand the part with the 300 grit sand paper until the surface is a little rough. This is necessary for the primer to bond with the surface. After sanding wipe down the part with micro fiber cloth.
- Lightly spray the part with primer. A few light coats are better than one heavy coat. Make sure to allow proper drying time between coats.
- After a few light coats of primer have been applied, wetsand with the 800 grit sandpaper. After wet sanding, wipe again with micro fiber cloth.
- Now it is time to apply the color. When spraying the spray paint make sure to use smooth even passes across what is being painted. Do not start painting on top of the part because the paint will be heavier in that area. When painting you want to press and release the button to the side of the product being painted. Again a few light coats are better than one heavy one and make sure to allow proper drying time between coats.
- After you are satisfied with the color, wetsand with 800 grit sandpaper and then wipe with micro fiber cloth.
- Now it is time for the clear coat. Spray the clear coat the same way as the spray paint. Only one or two light coats are needed. Allow the clear coat plenty of time to dry as this is the layer that you will see most. You don't want any fingerprints on your final surface!
- After the clear coat has had more than enough time to dry, you will now want to wetsand with the 800 grit, then the 1000 grit, then 1200, then 1500, and finally the 2000 grit sandpaper. This should remove any heavier spots in the clear coat and will polish your painted product up very nicely.
- Next you need to remove the scratches left by the 2000 grit. For this you will need to buff the surface with rubbing compound.
- Now you need to buff the surface with a medium cut polish to give the surface a nice glassy look.
- Whether it be exterior or interior parts that have been painted, add a couple coats of wax to the surface. This acts as a protectant to the clearcoat and gives it a nice smooth feel and also helps repel dirt.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Times Women Find You Incredibly Sexy
Roll up your sleeves and get to reading, gentlemen.
6 Things You Think Your Girlfriend Cares About But She Doesn...
Guys, it may be time to refocus your efforts.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …