How To Have Twins
You can learn how to have twins and feel more confident throughout your pregnancy and delivery. Carrying and birthing twins is more cumbersome than carrying a single baby. There are some truths and myths surrounding how to have twins. Once in the world with you, caring for and raising twins is a task only made for the hardy.
To learn how to have twins, you will need:
- A smart birth plan
- 2 cribs (do not put the babies in the same sleeping gear)
- A double stroller
- 2 infant car seats with bases (check your local laws to ensure your car seats are up to code)
- Electric double breastpump (if nursing)
- Ample supplies (bottles, diapers, wipes, etc.)
- Whole foods
- Prenatal vitamins
- Eat Right. A common myth is that having twins means eating for three. This simply isn't true. You need about an extra 300 calories per day for each baby you carry. Therefore, an extra 600 calories per day for your pregnancy is sufficient. If you have nutrition concerns, speak with your OB about recommendations.
- Stay Active. As you grow in size it can be difficult to get around and stay active, but staying active is key to a healthy pregnancy and delivery. Even walking twenty minutes per day can give you the benefits you need during and after pregnancy.
- Consider Your Birth Plan. Because there are two babies on board your OB will watch their positioning as you get closer to your due date. Breached positions and getting tangled in the umbilical cord is more common in twins births. Your doctor will advise you on a birthing method depending on decision. The danger of one twin born optimally and another having problems can be common. Many twin births happen via C-section. Have a birth plan, but be open to changing that plan for the health of you and your babies.
- Two of Everything. Because there are two you will need two cribs, bedding sets and many other items. If you live in a small space or want to save money there are items you may be able to purchase one of. This can include swings, a rocking chair and changing table. You will likely have one baby in these items at a time. You can also test the waters and learn what you need two of when babies come home and as you settling into a care routine.
- Care Plan. It's important to have a bit of a system in place before the babies come home. You will need help to care for your twins and other children, if you have them. Don't be afraid to ask family, friends and even a nurse for help. Your overall schedule will be based on the babies, but you can prepare for your care by organizing supplies to save you time and hassle. If you have a work schedule, babysitters or other concerns speak with those people ahead of time to work out arrangments.
You can learn how to have twins and be an amazing parent. Think of all the love in the world you'll feel twice over. Invite the people around you to be involved in the babies' lives and you'll get a little rest too.