How To Have Whiter Teeth At Home
There are a few ways to have whiter teeth at home. While the most dramatic improvements in color of teeth are performed by cosmetic dentists, there are ways to whiten the teeth at home. These methods give a brighter smile that increases self-confidence and appearance.
- Whitening Toothpastes. Many regular toothpastes offer whitening benefits, but the whitening toothpastes contain a larger amount of bleaching agents. These toothpastes work the same way as regular toothpastes. Apply to a toothbrush and brush the teeth as usual. Whitening toothpastes are inexpensive and easy to use, but one disadvantage is that the whitening effect is minimal.
- Whitening Strips. Another way to have whiter teeth is to use whitening strips. The strips have a bleaching agent on one side and an adhesive strip on the other. The strips remove discolorations and stains from the teeth. According to the product you purchase, you leave the strips on for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Using the strips for 2 weeks usually results in brighter teeth.
- Mouthguard Trays. The best way to get whiter teeth at home is with a mouthguard tray. There over the counter kits are sold in drugstores. The kit comes with a mold to make an impression of your teeth. You then fill the tray with a bleaching substance and place the mouthguard over the teeth. Mouthguards are left on for a few hour or overnight, depending on the type you purchase. Different mouthguards recommend using the tray for 2 weeks to 1 month for best results.
- Kits from a Dentist. It is also possible to get a mouth guard kit from a dentist. The American Dentist Association states, “If you obtain the bleaching solution from your dentist, he or she can make a custom-fitted mouthguard for you that will fit your teeth precisely.” The kits from the dentist are more expensive then those found in the drugstore, but it is worth the cost to have a custom fit. With a better fit the bleaching process produces amore even results. With poorly fitting mouth guards, the whitening can be spotty.
- Whitening Pen. Whitening pens are easy to use but not very effective in getting whiter teeth.
- Paint-on Gels. Paint on whitening gels come in small bottle resembling nail polish. Each has a tiny brush that you use to paint on to each tooth. The main disadvantage of the paint-on gels is that they taste terrible. These gels improve the color of teeth slightly.
Getting whiter teeth using at-home methods is now within the reach of most people wanting a brighter smile. These methods are inexpensive, mostly easy to use, and get results.