Knowing how to heal cracked heels can help you to avoid complications like infection, bleeding, and pain while standing. Cracked heels, or heel fissures, are the result of having dry skin and are made worse by thick heel calluses. Regular foot care can keep calluses from forming and keep the skin supple so that cracked heels are less likely to develop.
To heal cracked heels, you will need:
- Oil based moisturizer
- Pumice stone
- Shoes with heel support
- Apply moisturizer. Because dry skin is a cause of cracked heels apply a moisturizer with an oil base twice every day.
- Use a pumice stone. The rough texture of a pumice stone helps to wear down the calluses on cracked heels.
- Wear shoes with good heel support. When open backed shoes are worn, the heel will tend to expand if you stand for a period of time. This expansion can lead to cracked heels.
- Avoid standing. When trying to heal cracked heels, stay off of your feet as much as possible.
- See a podiatrist. For those with painful cracked heels a podiatrist can diagnose and treat the problem. To heal cracked heels, he may remove the calluses, prescribe shoe implants, prescribe topical medication, and give advice about preventing further problems.
Tips: Do not use a sharp callus remover or razor blade to try and remove the callus. A cut in the heels can lead to infection and decreased mobility. Following a daily routine, rather than reacting to cracked heels, is the best way to keep feet in good shape. Diabetics should inspect their feet daily. Due to neuropathy, a loss of nerve sensation in the feet, a problem may not be noticed until it has advanced.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …