How To Help On Earth Day
Learn about how to help on Earth Day. There are many opportunities to help out regardless of where you live. Whether you want to help out for an hour, the whole day or you are looking for a permanent volunteer opportunity, check out these tips to help out on Earth Day.
Visit the Earth Day Action Center. If you aren't exactly sure how you want to contribute, check out some established projects. The Earth Day Network provides resources on the various opportunities available for you.
- Figure out what issues are important to you. Are you serious about reducing waste? Conserving energy? Educating people about climate change? Whatever your passion, there is something you can do to help on Earth Day. You can filter your searches at the Earth Day Action Center based on your interests and location and they will match you with projects available.
- Decide how you want to volunteer. Do you want to actually go to a work site and help plant or recycle? Maybe you would rather make a lifestyle change, like the 100 Miles Food Challenge, which challenges you to commit to knowing where your food comes from and only eating food that was transported to you within 100 miles or less. You could pledge to do this for a month, a year, or indefinitely.
- Decide how much time you want to commit. Every little bit helps. Even if you can only pick up trash for an hour, it is something, and most organizations will be appreciative of any time you wish to donate. Some companies even excuses their employees from work on Earth Day.
- Create your own Earth Day campaign. Maybe you want to do something small, just within your office. You could get your co-workers to pledge to ride their bikes to work for the month of April instead of driving. If you want to do something really big, like going to India to clean up the Yamuna river, you could submit your idea on the Earth Day Network, so other people could donate and/or volunteer with you.
- Run or walk for the Earth. Many schools and communities have Earth Day walks or runs to raise money for sustainable campaigns. A portion of your race entry fee will go toward whichever charity the race is supporting. This is a great way to contribute (and get your morning exercise at the same time).
- Donate money. If you can't donate your time, you can always donate your money. There are thousands of worthy Earth Day causes that could use your support. Research the organization before you donate to make sure your money is actually going where you intended.