So you’ve been roped into a round of golf with your boss/client/friends/father-in-law, and you really don’t want to embarrass yourself so its time to learn how to hit a golf ball straight. While every person will have a slightly different natural swinging motion, there are a few tips that can help keep the golf ball from flying off the fairway.
- Keep an easy grip on the clubs. If you keep your muscles tight, not only will you lose power, but you will be much more likely to mis-hit the ball, as it is difficult to control your swing when your muscles are tense.
- Get in the proper stance and posture. No other elements have more of an effect on the quality of your swing than stance and posture. Your feet should be shoulder-width apart and turned slightly out. Flex your knees just a little bit. Always keep your back straight and bend at the hips. If you set up with the correct stance and posture, it gives your arms the ability to swing through the correct plane.
- Pivot and draw the club back. Hold the club face just behind the ball with your left arm straight and your right arm slightly bent. Draw the club back so that your left arm is completely straight and your right elbow is completely bent in. Continue to pivot as far as your body will allow.
- Swing the club. Begin your downswing by moving your hips. Your hips will pull your left arm, which will in turn pull the club. You don’t have to force the club with your arm muscles, since your hip rotation will bring your arms and the club with it. Try to keep your back to the target as long as possible, which will help allow you to swing straight by getting your hands down before your body pushes them out.
- Follow through on your shot. At the point of impact, your arms should be straight and your hands should be just in front of the ball. Keep both arms straight until well after you have struck the ball. Then bend your arms to finish the follow-through. Having a good follow-through will help ensure that you don’t stop your swing prematurely and effect the impact on the ball.
- Repeat the process. You won’t hit the ball consistently straight when you are just starting out. Golf is a game of concentration and muscle memory. The more that you practice and play, the better you will get, assuming you are doing the correct things. Keep your mind on the game and make sure that you are performing a technically correct swing and the golf ball will begin to fly straight in no time.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!
Do This Surprising Thing and Science Says Women Will Be All ...
No, it's not "buy a Ferrari."