You can save a lot of money on installation if you know how to hook up an amplifier and subwoofers in your own vehicle. All it takes is a little know-how and a few tools and supplies. Go to your local car stereo shop and get an amplifier wiring kit. It should have everything you need from cables, wires, fuse and connectors.
Steps To Hook Up An Amplifier And Subwoofers:
- Determine the location. You need to figure out where you want to put the amplifier. It needs ventilation so most people put it in the trunk or under a seat.
- Open the hood. Open the hood and disconnect the negative battery terminal. This will prevent any electrical problems during the hook up of the amplifier and subwoofers.
- Hook up the power cable. Make sure the fuse is not connected to the power cable. Use the ring post from the kit to hook the power cable to the positive terminal of the battery.
Run the power cable. Find a hole in the firewall where other wires enter the vehicle and run the power cable through it. Remove the door seal covers, lift the carpet and run the power cable under the carpet to the location of the amp.
Install the signal cables and turn on lead. Remove the door seal cables from the opposite side of the vehicle and run the signal cables and the turn on lead from the receiver to the amplifier. You do this on the opposite side to prevent noise interference from the power cable. The turn on lead turns on the power to the amp when the receiver is turned on.
- Apply the ground. Run the ground cable that came with the kit you bought to hook up an amplifier and subwoofers from the amplifier to some part of the vehicle's frame or chassis. The kit should provide a ring terminal for this purpose and you can use that to connect to a bolt.
- Hook up the amp and subwoofers. Run speaker wire from the amplifier to the subwoofers, making sure to keep positive inputs/outputs are connected properly.
- Connect fuse and battery. Insert the fuse into the power cable and put the negative cable back on the battery.
Power up your system and you should be good to go. Now that you know how to hook up an amplifier and subwoofers, you can start charging you friends to do it for them.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.