How To Hook Laptop Into Home Stereo
Most people have a lot of music on their laptops, so learning how to hook your laptop to your home stereo will be helpful. It doesn’t take long to hook everything up. It only takes one cable and you will be enjoying your music not only from your laptop but from your home stereo system.
- Before we hook the laptop into the home stereo, turn the power off to the laptop. Next, turn the power off to the home stereo system.
- You will then need to purchase a 1/8 inch, 3.5 mm mini-jack to RCA cable. This is sometimes called a “Y” cable.
- There is a jack on the back of the laptop where you plug in the computer speakers. You need to take the single end of the Y adapter cable and hook it into this jack.
- Find an available jack on the back of the stereo receiver (Aux, Tape2, etc.) where you can hook in the other ends of the Y cable. Be sure to not use the Phono jack. You need to use AUX IN or the CD IN jacks.
- Next, you need to match the red plug of the Y cable to the red jack on your stereo receiver. Connect the cable.
- Match the black (or white) plug of the Y cable to the white jack on the stereo receiver. Connect the cable.
- Turn on the power on both your laptop and home stereo system. Select the mode on the stereo receiver where the laptop is connected (Aux, Tape2, etc.)
- You are ready to listen to music. You can now select the songs that you want to play on your home stereo.
That is all it takes to hook up your laptop to your home stereo system. You can now enjoy your music not only from your laptop but also your home stereo.