How To Host A Mystery Party
Wondering how to host a mystery party that will amaze your party guests? Mystery parties are a great way to bring friends together for a unique party experience. Whether planning a murder mystery and dinner or just a simple follow the clues style treasure hunt, a great mystery party is easy to organize with a few simple tips and a tried and true plan.
Items Needed to Host a Mystery Party:
- Mystery Party Invitations
- Mystery Party Decorations
- A Mystery Script or Clues
- Party Food and Drinks
- Party Favors or a Super Sleuth Prize
- Choose the mystery party theme and create a script. This is probably the most difficult task in hosting a mystery party. If you are creative, it may be simple to write your own party script or mystery clues. If you are creatively challenged, or just simply do not have the time, there are a number of web sites that offer mystery party prompts, scripts and packages for purchase.
- Decide the mystery party tone and level of involvement of your guests. Will guests be playing roles at the party—or will they simply arrive to be entertained by the role play of others? Will you be taking them on a mystery tour of your city or neighborhood via treasure hunt style clues in pursuit of an elusive mystery answer? Bear in mind that some more outgoing friends may enjoy role playing parties—while those more reserved may prefer to follow clues and be entertained at each clue stop instead. Gauge your guests well in determining the best mystery party style to follow.
- Create and send the invitations. You may opt to send guests character descriptions and even dress codes that they should fill—or simply let them know that a mystery will unfold in their presence. If they will be embarking on a city wide treasure hunt in search of mystery answers, create the invitation accordingly. No matter the theme, make sure that your guests know what to expect so that they may dress and prepare for your party.
- Decorate for the mystery party theme. Is the mystery script set in the 1800's or the 1960's? Will your guests be role playing on a cruise ship or a desert island? To host a successful mystery party, you must decorate to fit the theme and script of the mystery—or hold the party in a facility that matches the party script.
- Plan the food and beverages to fit the party theme. An old west mystery with sarsaparilla will at least amuse the guests—even if the bowl labeled sarsaparilla is actually your latest rum punch in disguise! A fancy dinner menu more suits a cocktail party or dinner theater murder mystery event than barbecue grilled burgers and fries. Mystery party food and drinks do not need to be elaborate and expensive, but they do need to fit the overall party theme that you’ve selected. Pick a theme and choose foods and drinks that fit both the theme and your budget!
- Mystery parties should reward the top detective or detectives. Mystery parties are more of a game of skill than simply a mingling party. Guests attend these parties to solve a puzzle or a mystery—and they should be rewarded for their efforts. Whether the guests receive a printed certificate of their detective prowess—or something more substantial, you will need to choose a suitable prize in advance. You may also wish to include this “prestigious” prize description on the invitation so that guests know exactly what is at stake prior to arrival.
- Remember to have fun! Mystery parties are a great way for hosts and guests alike to take a much needed break from reality. Whether you are stepping into fantasy roles or offering up an opportunity to explore a neighborhood or surroundings, you are giving everyone a chance to laugh, live and have fun! Take advantage of that opportunity and enjoy your party!