How To Host In Starcraft
Learn how to host in Starcraft so that you can practice your skills in a live social gaming setting with other Starcraft experts. By taking advantage of Battle.net, you can host real-time multiplayer games. Challenge your abilities by entering into this new way of playing Starcraft.
- Understand Battle.net. Starcraft utilizes Battle.net to get you connected to the Starcraft community where you can link up with other players. Blizzard Entertainment owns both Starcraft and Battle.net. It’s free to access and use Battle.net and you can easily enter from within Starcraft. Once logged on to Battle.net, you can host a game but also join games hosted by others, play in teams, or be placed in a game.
- Login to Battle.net. Make sure your computer is connected to a secure Internet line before you start the hosting process. From your Starcraft game, access the Battle.net login screen. If this is your first time logging in, give your online Starcraft persona a name and a face. You’ll build a Starcraft reputation with this character who will represent you in the online Starcraft community.
- Create a hosted game. After logging in, you’ll be presented with the welcome screen. On the bottom-left side of the screen, you should see an area entitled, “Custom Games.” Within this box, there should be two buttons. Click on the button that says, “Create a Game.” This will be an unranked game so the outcome won’t affect your position on the ladder.
- Establish custom settings. The screen will show a list of maps that you can choose from for your hosted game. It’s possible to filter the maps by game type. Otherwise, you can just sift through the list and choose the backdrop for your challenge. Now, click on the “OK” button to create your game at that location. Depending on the map, there may be other options or rules to set such as the game speed. Work through all of the settings to custom-design your hosted game, and then click the “OK” button.
- Gather players or launch the game. At this point, you just need other Starcraft players. In the lobby screen, you can invite or wait for others to join. The maximum number of players that can join your game varies depending on the map you decided on in the previous step. If you don’t want to wait, you can simply press “OK” to launch your Starcraft game and Battle.net will find players for you.