How To Hunt Elk
Do you want to know how to hunt elk? Elk are very large animals which live in very rough terrain, this makes them a hard animal to hunt despite their size. They can be a very good test of the hunter's stamina, as well as his hunting abilities. To be successful it takes solid preparation, and careful planning, and that is where this article will help .
Items needed to hunt elk:
- Gear to supplement the weapon chosen
- Sturdy boots
- Topographical maps of chosen area
- Game calls
- Hunting licenses
- Hunting gear
- Camping equipment
- Get in shape. If you are not already, now is the time to get in good shape. Elk live in some rough terrain and hunting the big bulls can take some walking. They are also very large animals which take some maneuvering to clean after you are successful. Start a good work out and stick to it.
- Research the area. Find out about the area you plan on hunting. Where will you stay, how do you get licenses, where are the elk, do they require guides. Find out everything you can that may pertain to elk hunting in the area. The state DNR is a good resources. Once you have picked an area buy topographical maps and study them. Ask DNR officers where to find elk on them.
- Find local guide. If the area requires it, or if you want one, find a good local guide. The DNR can point to places to find reputable guides. Check their references well. Find out what services they provide, and what gear you will need. Make sure they know any limitations you have, and can support them. Ask what they provide and what you need to provide.
- Study your prey. Find out everything you can about elk, and how to hunt elk. This will help you formulate strategies to hunt them. Find out how to call them as this is a very good method of hunting. An important thing to remember is to find out their food sources, and where to find it in your area.
- Buy gear. Buy any gear you need. If you are camping buy camping gear. Buy hunting gear and elk targets, elk are large animals and you need to practice shooting at large targets. Make lists of gear as you do your research and talk to guides, this can help you not to forget something important.
- Practice with you gear. Learn how to use all the gear you are taking. Make sure it works as it is supposed to and does not need repair. Make sure your weapon is in perfect shape and that you are proficient in its use.
- Practice calling. Elk calling is a good strategy, but practice before hand. Do not worry, neighbors and spouses get used to it, eventually, but they will likely give you some odd looks until then. They will get over it when they have some elk steaks though.
- Make arrangements early. Book guides early so you do not lose out. Book flights, make hotel reservations, transportation reservations. and enter any hunting license lotteries early, to insure that all preparations are ready when you get there.
- Enjoy your hunt. You have spent a lot of time in preparation, enjoy your hunt.
That is the basic process how to hunt and plan an elk hunt. The resulting hunt will usually be only as good as the preparation you put into the planning. If you do your homework you should have a hunt to remember a lifetime, good luck.