How To Hunt Moose
Need to know how to hunt moose? You've come to the right place. Hunting moose is challenging and rewarding. You will need to utilize your tracking, shooting and mind to get a moose. Because a moose is fairly large game, you will need a good rifle, powerful ammunition and a good backpack to carry the meat and trophy. Above all, you need confidence, good judgment and a sense of adventure!
To hunt a moose you will need:
- High-power rifle with scope
- Comfortable rifle sling
- Good hunting ammunition
- Scope that's set to zero
- Good hiking boots
- Good backpack
- Good knife
Prepare your gear. You will need to hike to the hunting spot. Be sure to have good hiking boots with strong ankle support. Take a good knife you can use for cutting wood, skinning and making camp. Get a backpack that will hold all your gear with comfort. Opt for a backpack that stays close to your body and has good back support. Take spare ammunition and wrap it in waterproof material.
Select a rifle. If you want to hunt a moose, you need a rifle that has sufficient force to kill with a single shot. The best caliber would be a 30-30 or 30-06 but you can also take a 300 WSM. Do not take anything less powerful.
- Select ammo. You want to kill with a single shot. Ammo such as Corbon DPX is highly effective. Boattail ammo helps with accuracy. Be sure to get sufficient ammo for the hunt as well as training. You must train with the same ammo you hunt.
- Zero your scope. Set a target at 100 meters and zero the scope. Shoot at least three consecutive groups. If you have a detachable scope, mark the rail number on which the scope sat while being zeroed. If possible, take and zero a backup scope.
Prepare the rifle. Attach a sling to the rifle. Cover the scope with protective cover. Many hunts are ruined when a scope is accidentally damaged.
Load backpack. Items for camp go on the bottom with most of the wrapped ammo. Keep heavy items lower to reduce back pain and increase balance. Keep some ammo in an easy to access location. Keep some water in an easy to access location.
- Situate yourself well. Find a position that will give you optimal view. An elevated spot is better. Have sufficient cover to avoid detection. Place your gear next to you and uncover the scope. Load the rifle while pointing the barrel at 45 degree angel. Engage the safety and your keep finger off the trigger. Spot the wind and try not to send any scent with it. For example, don't cook coffee or open a snack with a strong smell. You are here to hunt moose, so clear some ground to allow you to be comfortable. Lie on the grown in the direction you expect the moose to come and get ready for action.
- Get on target. When you see the moose, relax and get ready. If you want to hunt that moose, take it easy and don't rush things. Get comfortable without making noise. Place the center of the scope above your shoulder. Do not aim at the head.
- Shoot the moose. When the center of the scope is on target, hold your breath. Remove the safety. Slowly pull the trigger. Do not be afraid of the recoil. Keep applying consistent pressure until the shot breaks.
- Follow-through. Pause for a moment and keep the rifle on target. Observe the moose you just shot. Engage the safety and unload your rifle. You just learned how to hunt a moose and now it's time to get your trophy and meat.
To hunt a moose you need skill, good gear and a bit of luck. Follow these steps and trust yourself. You'll hunt the moose and join millions of Americans who hunt for sport and adventure.