How To Identify Gold-Plated Jewelry
Need to learn how to identify gold-plated jewelry? Tired of getting swindled by crooked sellers who just want to make a buck? The days of this happening to you again are no more. Below are tips you can use to detect gold-plated jewelry.
Things you will need:
- Gold test solution (10kt and 14kt)
- Paper towel
- Test the supposed gold with gold testing solution. Use a file on an area of the jewelry that is not easy to recognize. Create a very tiny spot in that area and then squeeze a small amount of test solution where you filed. If that area begins to froth and chemical reaction occurs, the jewelry is gold-plated and fake.
- Use a magnet to check the jewelry. Gold-plated jewelry will attract to a magnet. This is a good way to see whether the jewelry you have is real or not, but don't let it be the only tool you use to see check a piece of supposed gold.
- Look for unnatural dual tones in jewelry. Gold-plated jewelry will usually have poor color tone through out its body. Make sure to look for these signs when you are given what is said to be gold jewelry. Real gold's color is strong and even through out the entire piece.
- Be careful when people don't want you to test their gold. There is probably a reason for this and it is probably not a good one. Always be suspecting people of who are hesitant to let you check their jewelry.