If you ran across a cue stick you like while playing in a pool hall or find one at a flea market or pawn shop, you'd want to know how to identify the maker of a pool stick. Since the pool cue stick is the only piece of equipment that you actually grasp to play the game, the quality of one is very important to players. It is your magic wand. Therefore, determining whether a cue stick that you see is a hidden gem or a run-of-the-mill cheap brand is worth knowing.
Things you'll need:
- The pool stick in question
- Computer with internet access
- Closely examine the butt of the cue stick. A quality pool cue stick usually comes in two parts: the shaft and the butt. You screw the two together to form the complete pool stick. The shaft is the upper portion of the cue stick while the butt is the bottom. You want to concentrate on the butt of the cue stick for clues to its origins.
- Write down any distinguishing marks you find on the cue stick butt. There should be a name, a logo or some other identifying symbol or word on the butt. Write down or draw on a piece of paper all identifying marks on the cue stick butt.
- Research what you have found on the internet. Say the cue stick you are interested in has a four-leaf clover with an "M" in the middle of it. If you type "four leaf clover cue stick" into an internet search engine, you will find several cue stick makers that might fit the bill. It could be a Leprechaun Mayhem stick, an Athena Shamrock stick or a few other possibilities. However, these don't have the "M" inside of the shamrock. If you continue searching you will find that the shamrock and "M" are the unique identifying marks of an upscale pool stick maker called McDermott Pool Cues.
- If the internet search proves unsuccessful, contact local experts. Stores that sell pool sticks or pawn shops are great places to start with. Take your documentation with you. They should have the requisite knowledge to identify the maker of the pool stick. Pool halls and players would be able to identify the stick based on what you have found on its butt.