Are you wondering how to identify a Windsor antique rocking chair? Philadelphia is the birthplace of the American Windsor. Many varieties of Windsor rocking chairs were made throughout the years, though the extra-wide seat remained a constant. The English version of the Windsor has a rounded hoop back with spindles. English Windsor rocking chairs have spindles running down their backs, legs and armrests. The spindles on the armrests are on the outer piece. The American version has a few different types of backs. The birdcage back (spindles have horizontal wood going through them), the rounded or bow back, the comb back and the arrow back.
- The bow back rocker. Dated pre 1800s, this rocker has spindles on the armrests and legs only.
- The Windsor Lancashire rocking chair. Dated between 1800 and 1899, this rocking chair has spindles on the legs and armrests. The center back has a designed piece of wood.
- Windsor rocking chairs, 1900 to 1950. Spindles remained on the legs and armrests. The backs of these rocking chairs do not contain spindles.
- Petite Windsor rocking chair. This Windsor rocker is an armless version created between 1900 and 1950. The legs and back have the traditional spindles.
- Child's Windsor antique rocking chair. Banister rails highlight the back of the chair. The legs are baluster turned. Spindles are on the armrests.
Research your specific Windsor rocking chair to find out if it is an antique. Books are available online and in libraries. As these were called garden chairs, due to being used outdoors, the bottoms of many of the chairs will be worn unless they were touched up. Hire an antique appraiser. She will be able to tell you if your rocker is an antique or a reproduction.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs the Beard Is Just Not Working for You
You may need to grab a razor and ditch the facial fuzz.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.