How To Improve PC Performance
If your PC has slowed down, you need to learn how to improve PC Performance. A PC will become slow over time as it is being used. There are some steps that can be taken to improve the performance of your PC.
- Scan for spyware and viruses. You can get spyware simply by surfing the Internet. Your spyware software and virus protection software needs to always be up-to-date and you should run scans on a weekly basis. Your PC Performance will improve drastically if you remove spyware.
- Disk Cleanup. Run disk cleanup on a monthly basis. To run disk cleanup click the My Computer icon on your desktop. Right click on the C: drive and select Properties. Click the Disk Cleanup button and delete all of the temporary files. This will help to improve the PC performance.
- Add Memory. If your PC does not have enough memory it will slow things down drastically. For Windows XP you should have a minimum of 512k and Windows Vista or Windows 7 1GB of memory. The performance of your PC will not improve no matter what you do if you don't have enough memory.
- Remove unused programs. To do this using Windows XP, click on the Start button. Click on Control Panel and select Add/Remove Programs. Look through this list and uninstall any programs you no longer use. To do this using Windows Vista or Windows 7 Click on Start then Control Panel. Click on Programs and Features and a list of the programs installed on your PC will come up. By removing unwanted programs your PC performance will improve.
- Defragment Hard Drive. If you have Windows XP defragging your hard drive once a month will help to improve PC performance. If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7 you do not need to defragment the hard drive. To defrag in Windows XP click on Start then My Computer. Right-click the local disc volume and click properties. Click Defragment Now on the tools tab and click Defragment. Defragging will improve the performance of you PC by putting the files in order so the hard drive does not have to work as hard to find the files it needs.
These steps will help improve the performance of your PC. It is important to run the spyware and virus scans on a weekly basis. You can keep your PC running fast for a longer period of time if you do these tasks each week.