How To Improve Sprinting Speed
Want to know how to improve sprinting speed? With short distances, every stride matters, and optimal physical condition can translate into a better race. Try these tips for improving your sprinting speed.
- Lift weights. To improve sprinting speed, it is important to increase strength. Focus not only on leg muscles but also on your abs, back, arms and shoulders as well. The entire body is used during a sprint; it takes more than strong, powerful legs to run fast.
- Stretch regularly. Increasing your flexibility decreases resistance, allowing for an easier flow of movement while sprinting. Stretch legs, but also hips, the lower back and ankles. Stretch not only before and after runs, but in the morning when you get out of bed.
- Practice technique. Being able to run fast naturally is great, but to become a better sprinter, you have to focus on technique. Practice your starts and watch your form and your arm movement. Have someone video tape you so you can see what you look like when sprinting to find out how to improve your technique.
- Cut your stride. Longer strides mean more time in the air. To improve sprinting speed, run more efficiently by getting your feet on the ground. With experience, you will be able to extend your stride and still move your legs at the same speed.
- Build endurance. Of course, do speed work, interval runs, hill repeats and fartleks, but don't underestimate the importance of endurance building for increasing sprinting speed. Add distance running to your training.
How to improve sprinting speed? Run, and run quickly. Also, build your strength, flexibility, form and endurance.