How To Increase Bat Speed
There are a number of ways to learn how to increase bat speed. Items related and unrelated to baseball can make drastic leaps in increasing your bat speed. Take the following considerations into account to learn how to increase bat speed, and thus increase your skill at the plate.
- Use the correct bat. It is that simple for some sluggers. Using the wrong bat can mean bad things for your bat speed.
- Work on your batting mechanics. Have someone watch your swing. Even the most minor detail can cost you in bat speed, where a fraction of a second can mean a lot. Also pay attention to shortening your swing, which can increase bat speed for obvious reasons.
- Improve grip and forearm strength. These two areas of strength training are often forgotten, both in weightlifting and in baseball training. They are very important in batting, so give these two areas some attention in the weight room.
- Work on leg strength. Yes, batting power does come from the legs. Work on leg strength in the weight room to realize these benefits for your bat speed.
- Work on upper body strength. While grip, forearm, leg, and wrist strength is all important, so is the upper body. Spend some time on increasing explosiveness in your triceps, biceps, and chest.
- Swing with heavier bats. Working with a heavier bat can add some weight to your swing. Be careful not to use too much weight, as this can put too much stress on your joints. Mix a heavier bat in to increase bat speed.