How To Increase Running Speed
Anyone interested in running wants know how to increase running speed. Running isn't just for racers, it can also be for fun. Those who are more serious about it, though, are usually more interested in increasing their running speed. A few tips to doing so are:
- Stretch before you run! Always remember to stretch so a muscle doesn't pull.
- Strengthen your cardiovascular system by dedicating one weekly workout to running uphill. This will increase the muscles in your lower body. It's best to run up the hill and walk back down. Once you get to the bottom, recover from it then repeat running up the hill.
- Do a weekly workout on a track. Time it with a stopwatch to get a feel for how fast you run and how much you want to increase your running speed. Switch up the distance you run whenever you run on the track to keep your body guessing.
- Give yourself a break and do an easy run. It's best to do an easy run between hard runs, to give your body a break.
- Try some long slow distance running, also known as LSD. When you do a lot of LSD, your body will naturally run faster and take longer strides. This takes awhile and some racers do not do it because of how long it takes.
- Run a little faster than you normally do. If you run faster than usual, your body will get used to it and it will become your normal running speed.
- Make sure you have a sports drink or water with you when you run. It's good to keep hydrated so you avoid heat stroke and other bad debilitating conditions.
Running is a great way to stay in shape and be healthy. It's also a great stress reliever. Remember to take it slow. Increasing your running speed may take a little time. It's also a great idea to get friends or family to run with you. It'll keep you them in shape and create a stronger bond.