How To Install Box Fins On Your Surfboard
One of the most important aspects of surfing is how to maintain your board which includes learning how to install box fins on your surfboard. This is a simple and straightforward process that almost anyone can learn. There are two types, those that require a key and those that do not. The keys are used to loosen and tighten the screws on the board.
Prior to the installation, you will need:
- Fin key
- A surfboard
- The first step is to locate the fin screws and plugs on the board. These will be on the side of the plug. If installing the fins on the side of the board, look for the 'L' and 'R' (left and right) to ensure proper orientation.
- Next, place the key into one of the screws and rotate it counterclockwise to loosen. Repeat with the screw on the other side of the board.
- Then insert the tabs into the plug and ensure they are fully emerged and even with the base of the surfboard.
- Afterward grab the fin to secure against the plug and tighten the first fin screw by inserting the key and turning it to the right until securely in place. Repeat this process with the other screw.
- The next step is to double-check your work to ensure the fins are securely in place on the surfboard.
- Finally, go test out your newly equipped surfboard!
- Do not completely remove the screws from the plug, just loosen them for ensure a snug fit.
- Do not over-tighten the screws as it can cause cracking, stripping and other damage.