How To Install A Front Doorknob
At one time or another, a home owner will learn how to change a front door knob. This could be done for various reasons including losing a key and needing to replace a lock or just simple changing the style of the front door knob. Changing the front door know is usually just a quick switch from the old know to the new one, so all you should need is a screw driver.
- The first thing you need to do is remove the old door knob by taking out the screws on either side of the knob. This should release the knobs on both sides of the door.
- Once the knobs are removed, pull the latch and other internal parts from the door.
- Replace the old internal door knob parts with the new ones provided.
- Slide the outside knob on first, followed by the interior knob. This can be a one person job, but is sometimes easier when you can enlist the help of someone.
- When both knobs are in place, insert the screws and tighten. When tightening the screws tighten each side equally.
- Make sure the door shuts and latches securely. Check the lock to be sure it is working properly as well.
When remodeling a home, changing front door knobs may just be the start. Older home often have glass door knobs or plain round metal ones. Changing the door knobs are a quick way to update the look of a room or the front of a house.