How To Install Garage Door
Owning a home and performing tasks and maintenance can bring up some very important questions like “How to install a garage door”? Make note that the topic is not about automatic garage door opener but the door itself. Garage doors can wear out, become damaged beyond repair, and sometimes it’s just easier to replace them rather than fix. Here are the basic steps for how to install a replacement garage door.
- Assorted Screwdrivers
- Small hand ratchet and 7/16" 12-pt. socket
- Electric or cordless drill with a 5/32" and 1/4 drill bits 7/8" hole saw
- Speed (crank) handle 7/16", 1/2" and 9/16" open-end wrenches
- 1/2" cold-rolled steel winding bars
- Tape measure
- Small step ladder
- Make sure all the materials are there. After purchasing the new garage door, check with the attached list to ensure all the parts are there for installation. This step is very important because it can be difficult when getting part way through the installation and finding out that everything needed is not there.
- Inspect the wood framing around the door. Always check the framing to make sure it is firm and sturdy enough to hold the door. This is most important around the center pad since the spring will be attached here and it will need to withstand significant amounts of pressure when opening the door.
- Affix the weather-stripping to the bottom of the first door panel. Attach the weather-stripping to the bottom of the lower or first door panel. Now place the door upright against the garage frame and hold it in place. To hold in place, drive nails into the jamb on both sides of the door. This will hold it in place.
- Assemble the tracks for the garage door. Make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and take time to ensure that each portion is level and parallel to each other. This may be one of the most important steps in installing a garage door. This goes for the entire track from top to bottom.
- Install the door rollers and any brackets. Install the rollers onto the door panels and any other brackets necessary. Also install any additional brackets to the jamb if necessary. On one side of the lower panel, slip the vertical track onto the rollers of the first panel, do this for both sides.
- Install the second panel. Using a helper, lift the second door panel and insert into the track sliding this panel up to the first. Install the hinges between the first and second panel.
- Installing the third panel. Using the same process as above install the third panel into the tracks. Now it is important to check the panels/door to ensure they are level and that the track is plumb.
- Install the curved and upper portions of the track. With all the panels in place and level, install the curved portions of the track and the upper portions in place. Make sure all necessary brackets are in place and secure.
- Attach the upper track in place. Making sure the upper track is level; attach the track to the track hanger. This will be done on both sides of the track.
After the installation and testing is complete it is now time to admire your handiwork. By following the instructions and taking the proper preparation times in advance, knowing how to install a garage door can be a simple process. Next step; automatic garage door opener, who wants to open a garage door in the rain?