How To Install A Gas Fire Place
Learning how to install a gas fire place will allow you to create a smoke free fireplace that you can enjoy in any room. These fireplaces are very easy to maintain and do not require endless amounts of wood to operate. A gas fireplace is also a great source of heat in both small and large rooms.
To install a gas fireplace, you will need:
- Caulking Gun
- Reciprocating Saw
- Gas Fireplace Kit
- Granite Slabs
- Determine the location where the fireplace is to be set. Some people find it very beneficial to use their existing wood burning fire place as a location for their gas fireplace.
- Have a professional install a gas line to the location. They can be extremely dangerous to work with, so it is best not to attempt to do this yourself if you do not have experience with the installation process of gas lines.
- Cut a hole through the exterior wall to install a stove pipe thimble. This is used to vent the home, expelling any fumes created from the fire place. Connect the vent tube to the gas fireplace, and place it into the desired location. You will want to seal the exterior end of the exhaust vent with a termination hood.
- Begin to finish the outer appearance. Remove the fireplace and begin to dress up the appearance. Use caulking to place granite or stone slabs on the surrounding walls of the fireplace. This is also a great touch when lining the floor directly in front of the fire place.
- Place the fireplace into the designated area for good. Be sure to connect the gas line to the fireplace, and line the connected vent to the hole created for the vent in the wall.
- You can now place the front cover over the fire place. The front cover protects anyone, especially small children or pets, from getting hurt on the fire. The front cover is removable, incase you need to access inside the fireplace for maintenance purposes.
Gas fireplaces are a great option because they do not create any fumes. They can also be easily operated with a remote control, which allows you to turn the fireplace on and off, and adjust the temperate easily.