Learn how to install head gasket on 1996 Jaguar XJ6 vehicles. If you have a blown or leaking head gasket, you will have to replace it one way or another. You could take your Jaguar XJ6 to the shop and have a mechanic fix the problem, however you will find that it much more cost efficient to do the maintenance yourself. To install the head gasket on your 1996 Jaguar XJ6, follow these steps.
To install a head gasket on 1996 Jaguar XJ6, you will need:
- Head gasket
- Park your Jaguar XJ6. Open the hood.
Unplug the spark plug wires. You don't want anything obstructing the path of the head cover.
- Remove the bolts for the intake manifold. Remove the intake manifold.
Remove the bolts on the header exhaust pipes. Note that exhaust bolts usually have extreme corrosion and can be very tough to remove. Use a longer wrench in order to provide more leverage and make it easier to remove the bolts. Disconnect the headers from the engine head (you do not have to remove them).
- Remove the bolts securing the valve cover. Keep these bolts separated so that you know where they go. Remove the valve cover.
- Remove the bolts securing the rocker arms and pushrods. Extract the pushrods and keep everything in order so that you can easily reinstall it.
- Remove the bolts securing the cylinder head on the engine. Remove the cylinder head giving you access to the old head gasket.
- Remove the old head gasket. Discard it.
- Clean the surface of the cylinder head as well as the engine block using a chisel. Ensure that all remnants of the old head gasket are gone and that the two surfaces are perfectly clean.
Install the new head gasket between the cylinder head and the engine block. Tighten the bolts, referring to your service manual for exact torque specifications.
- Place the pushrods back on the cylinder head. Keep the position of the pushrods exactly as they were when you removed them.
- Install the rocker arms and valve cover. Tighten the bolts to the proper torque specification.
- Reinstall the exhaust headers, intake manifold and spark plug wires. Ensure that you reinstall all parts properly and that you double check to make sure you tighten all bolts to exact torque specifications.
- Start the engine. Listen to the engine to ensure there are no odd sounds. Check for any leaks around the head gasket and test drive the Jaguar XJ6 to ensure the vehicle runs good
- Incorrectly installing the new head gasket can cause your car to allow foreign substances into the combustion chamber and can damage your engine.
If you are not comfortable performing maintenance on the inside of your engine, then you should seek professional assistance in performing this task.