Learning how install a kill switch for car amplifier can be a great project for any serious car modder. If you have recently installed a car amplifier or have been meaning to install a kill switch then this useful guide will teach you how to install a kill switch for car amplifier. Learning how to install a kill switch for car amplifier will be a lot easier if you have prior experience with car electronics and wiring however it is not necessary.
To install a kill switch for a car amplifier you will need:
- 12 volt DC switch
- 16 gauge wire
- Wire end caps
- Electrical tape
- Wire strippers
- Turn off car and disconnect power. Turn off the car. Disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery. This step is important to ensure the safety of yourself and your audio equipment when installing a kill switch for your cap amplifier.
- Remove car stereo. Remove your car stereo unit located in the front of the vehicle. Locate the wire that is running off your radio unit and connects to your car amplifier.
- Connect the switch. Splice the wire and add extra wire for your switch. Connect the switch per the specific instructions that came with the switch.
- Mount the switch. Mount the kill switch for your car amplified. Mount the switch in an easily accessible location where it will not get accidently pressed.
- Test the kill switch. Reconnect the negative battery cable. Power on the car. Toggle the switch and ensure that the car amplifier turns on and off.\
Remember you will want to carefully cap the wires and use electrical tape to ensure that no wires are touching to and from your car amplifier power source. Only use a 12 volt DC switch when making a kill switch for your car amplifier, as other switches may pose a safety risk.