Linksys is one of the best network equipment brands, so it's important to know how to install a Linksys wireless router. Setting up a Linksys wireless router is very simple. These wireless routers have a user-friendly web interface and a wide range.
To install a Linksys wireless router, you will need:
- A Linksys wireless router that supports at least an 802.11g specification. An 802.11n would be even better
- A network cable
- A computer with Wi-Fi capabilities
- A broadband internet connection and the modem from your internet service provider
- If your router isn't brand new, restart it to get back to its default settings. Reset the router by powering it on, then press and hold the reset button for 30 seconds. The reset button on most routers is located at the back of the router and marked "Reset." You will most probably need a sharp object to press this button. A ballpoint pen or toothpick would work.
- Connect the computer to the router. You can do this by using a network cable or Wi-Fi. To connect your computer to the router by cable, plug in one end of the network cable to your computer. Plug the other end into the router. Make sure it's connected to one of the ports on the router labeled with a number. Don't connect it to the port on the router that's labelled "WAN" or "internet." That port is strictly for your modem. The numbered ports, on the other hand, are for computers and other network devices like a gaming console or a network printer. To connect your computer by Wi-Fi, search for wireless connections from your computer. The broadcast name or SSID of a brand new or newly restarted Linksys wireless router is called "Linksys." Choose this wireless connection.
- Log in to the router using your favorite internet browser. Type "192.168.1.1" on your browser's URL address bar. Your browser will ask for a username and password. Leave the username blank and the password is "admin." Press enter and you should see the home page of your Linksys wireless router. called "Basic Setup."
- Change your router's Wi-Fi broadcast name. On the top menu of your router's webpage, select the option called "Wireless." Choose the "Manual" configuration option which is available on most new models of Linksys wireless routers. Type in the name you prefer your wireless network to be called under the field labeled "Network Name" or "SSID." Click "Save Settings" located at the bottom of the page.
- Secure your wireless network. Under the same "Wireless" page mentioned above, select the menu option on the top portion of the page called "Wireless Security." This will take you to the wireless security page of the router. There will be a drop-down list for the field "Security Mode." You can select "WEP" or "WPA Personal" on this list. If you choose WEP, make sure your password has ten or sixteen hexadecimal characters. Hexadecimal characters can be any number or letters from A to F. Remember, it has to have exactly ten or sixteen characters. Selecting a WPA Personal type of password will allow you to use any letter or number. However. some older computers might not support WPA Personal. Select "Save Settings" before you exit the page.
- Connect to the internet using your modem. Connect a network cable from your router to your modem. Make sure to connect into the network port on your router that is not labeled with a number. There should only be one port not labeled this way, and this port is for your modem. Ask your internet service provider if you have a PPPoE account. If you do, this means you will require a username and password to connect to the internet. Your provider will give you the username and password. Input these on the home page of your router labeled "Basic Setup" on the top menu. Remember to click "Save Settings" when done.
You are now ready to use your Linksys wireless router. These routers usually have a range of up to 300 feet. When your Wi-Fi signals drops, make sure no other radio device, such as a microwave oven or a cordless phone, is in use.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How To Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, you’d better be able to handle the following…