How To Install Roof Shingles
Learning how to install roof shingles is a really hands on job that will require some good help with this tasks. The biggest perk of installing new shingles is the fact that the proper shingles can actually lower energy bills. The application of these new shingles will actually improve the cost of your home and prevent any elements from getting into the home. So some really basic things to remember are to never get in over your head keep it simple and when in doubt ask around usually good help can be gotten at your local home improvement store.
Materials needed for this job:
- tar paper
- shingle nails
- chalk line
- measuring tape
- heavy duty cutting shears or vinyl cutters.
- Purchase the shingles that you will be using on this job.
- Prep the roof by laying down the tar paper. Starting at the bottom of the roof work your way to the crown of the roof top. When laying down the paper you will need roofing nails to do this with.
- Once you are done with the installation of the roofing paper begin with a starter strip. Create this long strip by cutting off the tabs of a regular shingle.
- Now that you have started your bottom row complete. Begin on your second row by staggering the following shingles will create a route in which the rain or water will fall from the roof.
- Make two chalk lines to keep the shingles running in the direction that they need to travel and be laid.
- Keep on going with this pattern until you reach the ridge of the roof and insert the ridge vent and lay the shingles over to create the complete look.
- As a reminder, make sure that the nails fall in the right place to create strength in the roof.
Now this guide has been a how to on how to install shingles on a roof and hopefully it has provided some insight into the thing that is home improvement. The biggest thing to this job is the proper measurements and the application of the shingles and how they will fall on your roof. If all else fails, you can hire a pro, but this should actually prevent you from having to do that.