How To Install Satellite Radio
Need to know how to install satellite radio in your car? Installing satellite radio in your car will allow you to listen to many radio stations that are not otherwise available. Satellite radio is a subscription-based service available from providers that can be used with certain satellite radio receivers from the same company. Follow these steps to learn about installing satellite radio for your enjoyment while driving.
To install satellite radio, you will need:
- A satellite radio receiver
- A satellite radio subscription
- An antenna
- Purchase a satellite radio receiver. These come in several forms and allow you to choose exactly what you want. There are radios that will fit in the dash of your car with satellite reception capabilities, as well as smaller, portable receivers that can connect to your existing system if your car stereo has audio inputs or the receiver has a built-in FM broadcast function. Using a portable satellite radio receiver will give you the option to use the device in your home with another antenna.
- Install the receiver, depending on what model you got, in your center dash. Connect the audio output on the receiver to the stereo in your car if it is a portable unit. For other models, tune the receiver to an FM station that is not in use and it will broadcast to your car stereo.
- Mount the magnetic antenna on the roof of your car if possible, or at the highest location on the vehicle you can. Route the antenna wire under the weather strip for your car door nearest it. Make sure it won't be damaged there.
- Activate your account using your phone or the company's website. You can now begin using the receiver.