How To Interpret Body Language
If you know how to interpret body language, then you’ll be able to communicate better with those around you. When you interpret a person's body language properly, you are better able to understand the world and those you come into contact with every day. It doesn’t matter if it’s somebody you work with, somebody in your personal life or simply a date, if you know how to properly interpret body language then you can read the signs and know how to safely proceed so that you have a happy and fulfilling life. The last thing you want is to commit a social faux pas because you were unable to correctly read someone's body language.
- Watch for eye contact. When a person makes direct eye contact with you, she is showing you that she's paying attention and listening to you.
- Pay close attention to the angle of a person's body. If her body is leaning towards you, then she is paying close attention to what you’re saying. If she is leaning back, then she is probably not paying attention or is uninterested in what you have to say. If she is leaning straight up with her hands folded in front of her, that could mean that she’s not sure that you are telling the truth.
Closely watch a person’s hands. If the person has her hands folded in front of her, across her body, this indicates that she’s in a closed position. This frequently means that the person is not willing to share information with you or fails to believe what you have to say. If the person has her hands open with her palms forward, she is completely open to what you have to say.
- Pay close attention to a person’s pupils. If the person’s pupils are dilated, then you know that the person is interested in what you have to say, or possibly simply attracted to you.
- Pay close attention to how the person touches you. If you are with a person who is frequently touching your body in any manner, that is a sign that she’s either sexually attracted to you or she wants to empathize with your situation. It is a gesture of comfort which lends itself to trust and intimacy.
- No matter what the situation is, if you know how to interpret body language you’ll be able to communicate better with those around you. This can help your life and your career. Use what you have learned about interpreting body language carefully; after all, you now have some power in your hands. Use it wisely.