Learning how to iron a polo shirt is easy once you get the hang of it. Achieving a smooth finish when you iron a polo shirt and keeping the collar from looking flimsy requires a few basic items.
To iron a polo shirt you will need:
- An iron with a steam function
- Water to put in the iron
- An ironing board
- Spray sizing or starch
- A spray bottle of water (optional)
- If you need to iron a polo shirt that is really wrinkled you may want to spray it with water and hang it up to dry. Hanging the shirt while damp removes the wrinkles by weighing the shirt down a little bit as it dries.
- Set the iron to high or to the cotton setting. A lower setting will not get the wrinkles out as well.
- Spray starch or sizing on the shirt. Sizing gives the fabric body without being quite as stiff as starch. Either one will work though.
- Flip the collar up with the inside showing. Iron the inside of the polo shirt’s collar until it is smooth.
- Lay the polo shirt on the ironing board with the back of the shirt facing upwards, the collar hanging off the edge away from you. Iron the sleeves from the center of the shirt to the cuffs.
- Iron the back of the polo shirt beginning at the collar towards the bottom. Long, sweeping motions help to iron a polo shirt quickly and leave it smoother. Slide the shirt away from yourself to finish the bottom of the shirt.
- Turn the polo shirt with the front facing upwards. Begin ironing the front of the polo shirt with the sleeves from the center to the cuff.
- The portion with the emblem needs to be ironed towards the sleeves when you iron a polo shirt.
- Iron the front of the polo shirt from the top to the bottom in long, sweeping motions. Slide the shirt away from you to finish the bottom portion.
- Your polo shirt should now be smooth and ready to wear.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Meet Amber Heard, Billion-Dollar Girlfriend
Girl picks herself some winners, wallet-wise.
What You Can Learn From Your Date’s Outfit—Including How Luc...
From the daddy’s girl to the free spirit to the trendsetter, we’ve got you covered.
10 Reasons Your Wife Is Unhappy in Your Marriage
Don't shoot the messenger. This is what science says.