How To Jump On A BMX Bike
In order to do tricks on a BMX you must first learn how to jump on a BMX bike. Knowing how to jump on a BMX bike is an essential skill for any rider that plans to do tricks. This simple trick alone of jumping off the ground, also know as a "bunny hop" will enable you to perform many other tricks on your BMX. Here are some steps to help you to learn how to jump on a BMX bike.
To jump on a BMX bike you need:
- BMX bike
- Get into position. First ride on a level surface at a slow to medium speed. Next, get into spring form by compressing your body down into somewhat of a crouched position.
- Bring the front wheel off the ground by pulling up hard on your handlebars. Simultaneously as you pull up on your handlebars release yourself from your crouched position, and then jump up as high as you can. The higher up you can jump the greater you can maximize the hop. To bring the rear wheel off the ground shift your body weight over the center of your BMX bike.
- Level the rear wheel with the front wheel of the BMX bike. Simply lean slightly forward to level the wheels. During the jump to reach the maximum height that you can continue to pull the bike upward.
- Landing out of the jump. During the jump on your BMX bike focus where you are aiming to land the bike. Once the bike reaches its peak push down on the handlebars as you force your weight down over the pedals. Landing the back this way will simultaneously send the front and rear ends of the BMX bike toward the ground.
- Position your body correctly to land safely. The first few times you land from a jump you will get a shock from the landing. To help absorb the shock of the landing as your BMX bike lands deeply bend your knees and arms. For added stability from your landing remove yourself from the landing zone by pedaling hard as you land. This will also help to give you some stability momentum.