How To Keep Leather Jacket From Mildewing
If you want to learn how to keep a leather jacket from mildewing, you have to constantly keep up on the care of your leather jacket. There are ways to prevent mildew and there are ways to treat mildew. Let's break it down.
What you need to keep a leather jacket from mildewing:
- Proper storage
- Clean cloths
- White vinegar
- Leather conditioner
- Properly storing your leather jacket will prevent mildew. Mildew breeds and grows with heat and water. First, keep your leather jacket dry to keep it from mildewing. If it gets wet, dry it off as soon as possible. You should store your leather jacket in a cool dry place when you are not wearing it. A storage bin or a garment bag in your closet should be just fine to avoid mildew on your leather jacket.
- If your leather jacket is already mildewing, you need to clean it. Cleaning your leather jacket will remove all of the mildew and keep it from growing back. After you have cleaned the mildew from your leather jacket, refer to step one. Properly store your leather jacket.
- Lay your leather jacket out flat and get a few clean cloths. Cleaning the leather is the only way to treat the jacket from mildewing. Make one of the cloths damp with water and put some white vinegar on it. Keep two cloths dry to thoroughly dry your leather jacket.
- Clean off the mildew. Wipe away the affected mildew area of your leather jacket with the dampened vinegar and water cloth. Using swift strokes, not a rubbing motion, will clean the mildew off of your leather jacket. Rubbing will possibly discolor the area on your leather jacket.
- Quickly dry the wet spot. Now that you have removed the mildewing from your leather jacket, be sure to dry off the wet spot with your dry cloths. Wipe off the mildewed area until it is completely dry. Leaving the leather moist can cause damage to your leather jacket.
- Conditioning your leather jacket is the last step to keep it from mildewing. When you clean a leather jacket it tends to dry out the material. When material is dry it is very porous. This means that your leather jacket is wide open for mildewing again. Purchase some leather conditioner and read the directions carefully when applying it to your leather jacket. Once your leather jacket has its protective conditioning barrier,refer to step one. Properly store your leather jacket to keep it from mildewing.