How To Know If You Have Bed Bugs
You can learn how to know if you have bed bugs by looking for clues that bed bugs are present. You most likely won't catch the little, brown insects. You will have to rely on the evidence they leave behind. You can check a hotel room for bed bugs before you start unpacking your luggage. That way you don't take the chance of bringing any bed bugs home with you. You can also check your own home to be sure no bed bugs are present.
You will need the following items:
- Magnifying glass
- Check yourself when you wake up each morning. If you have a bunch of tiny, red dots on your body, you may have been bitten by bed bugs. The bites are often in a straight line.
Use a magnifying glass to check your mattress. Look for brown or red blood spots. They will be in the seams and folds of your mattress. You should even check your box spring.
- Look for dark, black spots that are about half the size of a grain of rice. This are bed bug droppings. The droppings can also be found in the mattress or box spring.
- Examine the walls and window sill near your bed. It is possible you will find blood spots, droppings and even shed bed bug skin.
- Use a flashlight to look in dark locations, such as the underside of your mattress.
- Call an exterminator if you find bed bugs. You will not be able to successfully get rid of the bed bugs on your own.