How To Know My Friend Is Gay
Learning how to know if your friend is gay is much easier said than done. Like people in any group, all gay people have different personalities, hobbies, interest, tendencies and lifestyles. There are a few things you should think about, however, if you want to know if your friend is gay.
- Pay attention to your friend’s dating habits. If your friend does not typically date members of the opposite sex, it’s possible he could be gay. However, this could also just mean he’s shy, busy or not interested in dating one person.
- Set up your friend on a date. If your friend seems uninterested or refuses to go on the date, this could be a sign he is gay. However, it could also mean he is not interested in the person or does not want to date right now.
- Don’t go by appearance. There is no way to tell if your friend is gay strictly by appearance. Any appearance you think of as gay is merely a stereotype that can be taken on by any gay or straight person. The majority of gay people have nothing different about their appearance.
- Bring up gay people. Have a conversation around your friend about someone else who is gay. Pay close attention to how your friend reacts. If your friend does not want people to know he is gay, he might shut down the subject or even say something derogatory about gay people. This could also be a way to open up a dialogue about your feelings toward gay people. The more tolerant and understanding you are, the more likely your friend will open up to you if he’s gay.
- Talk to your friend. By far the best way to know if your friend is gay is to start an honest and open discussion. Let your friend know why you suspect this and you’ll remain supportive no matter what the answer. It’s possible you may have misinterpreted things altogether, but your friend might have something else to share with you. Keep an open mind and never waver in your support.
It’s very difficult to tell whether someone is gay. You should not assume your friend is gay based on just one or a few possible signs. Understand that bringing up the subject, whether your friend is gay or not, could cause anger, resentment, embarrassment or even an end to your friendship.