So you want to know how to you know when you are being conned? Well, the world is full of con artists, therefore, it’s up to you to be able to tell the difference when someone is being genuine and when they are not. In order to tell whether a person is lying to you, many different signals take place. Although body language is usually the first thing people take notice of, there is also your gut feeling. Follow the guidelines below to prevent yourself from being conned.
- When you are interacting with the person look them directly in the eyes. Ask them several questions to test their knowledge. Although some con artists are highly intellectual, most of them will tell you only what you want to hear.
- Do they look you in the eye? Often people who lie, as well as con artists will have a tendency to look away when they speak. This is because they are trying to think of an answer to tell you.
- Are they overly nice? Although most people are nice, there are also people who will come off as being overly nice. They use this niceness as a way to take advantage of people.
- They leave out important details. They are too busy trying to butter you up that they often side step important elements. This can be a dead giveaway.
- Ask them to questions. When you ask them questions, they should have the same answers they told you in the beginning of a conversation. If their story changes, then there's a good chance they are lying in order to set you up.
- Watch out for manipulation. Many con artists will try to use their skills of manipulation to get you to do what they want. But you don’t have to fall for it. This is usually their last resort. Since they know you may not buy into what they are saying, it is their last attempt to con you and convince you otherwise.
Follow these tips and you will know when you are being conned, and be able to stop the con before it ever gets started.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...