Learn about how to know you need infertility counseling so your frustrations can be minimized. Infertility is a common problem that affects more people than you probably realize. Each year millions of people experience infertility issues. Knowing that you need infertility counseling is the first step to getting answers you may have about the inability to conceive a baby. Know the signs of infertility so you are educated about this issue and can take action as needed.
To know if you need infertility counseling, you will need:
- Record of your history of trying to become pregnant
- Medical history and background
- Know the main reasons for infertility in many couples. There are some common reasons for infertility in both men and women including age. If your woman is older than 35, this can affect her ability to become pregnant. Irregular and/or painful menstrual cycles is another symptom. Other reasons your woman may not be able to conceive include her having had miscarriages, having used an IUD, and having had abdominal or pelvic surgery. In men, having had testicular injury or infections can also be a cause of infertility.
- You have not become pregnant after 1 or 2 years of trying to conceive. Usually doctors consider couples who have had unprotected sex about three times a week for 1 or 2 years to be in need of infertility counseling.
- You have talked to an OB/GYN and followed recommendations. The first step for couples is to visit the woman's OB/GYN. This doctor can recommend when the couple should have sex that will increase the chances of conception among other things. Following these recommendations should be the first step in trying to conceive. If these fail, as a couple, you and your girlfriend or wife will want to discuss infertility counseling with the doctor for further recommendations and referrals.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Beer Brain: Sam Adams’ Kosmic Mother Funk
This private-reserve beer drinks like a fine port or brandy.
10 Social-Media Problems Ello Solves
From privacy to nudity—why the Anti-Facebook's time has come.