How To Know You Need Sexual Abuse Counselling
Need to know how to know if you need sexual abuse counseling? Sexual abuse itself is devastating, and coping with such a horrific experience is even harder. Hopefully, this will clear up any doubt in your mind whether sexual abuse counseling is prudent. Some early signs that can help you tell if sexual abuse counseling is needed include being unhappy or depressed and feeling lonely.
- If you were sexually abused as a child or an adult and you managed to block it out, it still caused you pain. Now those tainted memories are starting to resurface, making it hard for you to focus on your day-to-day life because you think about your experience constantly. Sexual abuse counseling maybe necessary to help you deal with the awful situation you were put in.
- Do you have a difficult time being in a loving and nurturing relationship? Fearing rejection or things turning sour and thinking it’s just a matter of time before this person betrays your trust and sexually abuses you too are signs that you may need counseling.
- Is there a fear of intimacy or a lust for it? Is any type of sexual intimacy, hugging, kissing, fondling and making-love, looked upon as something dirty and disgusting? Do you consider it not something that should be shared between two people who have genuine feelings for each other, or do you have random sexual encounters with strangers to try to block out what happened to you?
- Do you avoid physical human contact because you feel ashamed? Does even someone touching you on the shoulder makes you cringe? Are you blaming yourself for what happened? Do you believe you could have stopped it, if you wanted to? Sexual abuse counseling would be needed for you to come to terms with the fact that it was out of your control and no way, shape or form are you to blame for such a horrible thing.
- Have you become withdrawn? Maybe you feel no one can possibly understand what you are going through. Have you lost all joy in your life, do you experience days where you feel you are losing control? It can be hard for someone who needs counseling to distinguish the difference between a healthy and unhealthy relationship.
There are different forms of sexual abuse. If you feel lost and unhappy because of a sexual encounter that may have left you physically, mentally and emotionally scarred, then sexual abuse counseling is necessary to get you back to your happy self again.