Here are instructions for how to lace a 36 hole BMX wheel. It sure takes patience, but it ends up saving money and time.
Things You'll Need to lace a 36 hole BMX wheel:
- Spoke nipples
- Spoke wrench
- Get hold of 36 hole spokes first in appropriate length as required by the hub and rim. You can check with your local cycle shop for this.
- Put a spoke inside alternate holes towards the right hand side of the BMX wheel hub flange. Make sure that you are able to view the butt of every spoke from outside the BMX wheel hub. Make sure that it has an empty flange hole alternately. Put the farther side of spokes inside the hole situated on the rim. Once you are done, you will have three rim holes that are empty between every BMX wheel spoke. Use a spoke nipple towards the farther end of every spoke till the spoke thread becomes invisible to the eye.
- Put a spoke in one of the empty flange holes on the right side of the BMX wheel in a way that it can reach the inner part of the left flange. Put the spoke on the left side in one of the 36 holes situated on the left flange.
- Put another spoke inside alternate holes on the left hand side. After inserting the spokes inside the 36 rim holes, put a spoke nipple on each spoke until the threading again becomes invisible to the eye. Once you are done with this, you will find two holes between the two spokes that are joined to the rim.
- Put a spoke inside every empty hole on the right hand side of the hub flange this time from the inside. The elbow of every BMX wheel spoke should be visible to you from the outer portion of the 36 hole BMX wheel hub. Install every spoke in a way that it crosses over the top right hand side spokes that were joined previously. There should also be one below the other. Put the end of every one of these 36 hole spokes inside a spoke hole over the rim closer to the left hand side spokes. Join a spoke nipple to every one of the spokes so that the spoke threading is not visible to you. As you look at the rim, you will be seeing one empty rim hole after three consecutive spokes that are joined to the rim. You will also be able to see a crisscross pattern of these spokes to the right hand side of the hub.
- Put a spoke inside each of the empty holes in the 36 hole BMX wheel on the left hand side hub flange from the inner side. Again, cross every spoke from the top of the one attached previously. They should be one below the other. Put the end of every spoke inside one of the spoke holes situated over the rim. Join a spoke nipple to every one of the spoke holes in a way that the spoke threading is not visible. As you continue to do this, a crisscross pattern will develop yet again.
- Use the spoke wrench to secure the spokes tightly and repeat it for both the BMX wheels. Join the tire back to the cycle. Make adjustments if needed.