Learning how to lacquer furniture can be challenging but is very worth the effort and time you put forth into your furniture. Over the years, lacquer has been reinvented as a water-based coating giving an easier alternative to its former past. Lacquer gives off a very high sheen that will show the depth of color in your wood.
To lacquer furniture, you will need:
- Paint thinner
- Lint less sheet
- Safety goggles
- Fine grit sandpaper
- 0000 steel wool
- Wood filler
- Lint less rags
- Face dust mask
- Prepare the wood properly. Fill in any spots such as pores or low spots with wood filler. Sand areas with fine grit sandpaper to ensure all areas are smooth. Remove any sanding grit from wood. Sanding grit or dirt will ruin the lacquer finish. To remove any impurities dampen a lint less rag with paint thinner and clean the entire piece of furniture. Let the piece of furniture dry completely before applying any lacquer.
- Using lint less sheets build a tent to surround your piece of furniture. Your tent will need to be big enough to allow room to work and to cover the piece of furniture. The idea of the tent is to limit air flow to avoid dust, dirt and particles from landing on the furniture while lacquering.
- Using the sprayer apply the lacquer in thin coats. Typically, you will want to apply four to six coats of lacquer.
- Let the piece dry completely. This stage can take anywhere from three to four days.
- Rubbing out the imperfections the lacquers can create. As lacquer dries the rubbing removes the little puckers or dust that may have settled. To rub you will use extremely fine grit sandpaper then follow using the 0000 steel wool. This stage is to be done every carefully as you do not want to remove the thin layers of lacquer.
- Repeat steps three through five again.
- Once your piece has fully dried, you have completed all steps. You will want to buff your furniture to bring your furniture to a full glossy shine.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Red Flags That Kill Your Chances With Women
Wondering why that first date didn’t lead to a second? Read on.
Now Fat and Scruffy, Mark-Paul Gosselaar Tells Us All About ...
The man formerly known as Zack Morris is hairier, heftier and playing a Major League catcher in the new FOX show.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.