Most student pilots will learn how to land a Cessna 172 Skyhawk. High wing planes, like the Cessna 172 Skyhawk are popular models. The plane has been in production for over 40 years. Landing a Cessna takes much practice but with a flight instructor in the cockpit, progress will be sure. Normal and short field landings are the types of landings pilots perform, but normal landings are the most frequent type. Always check the aircraft's manual for specific speeds, which can vary between years and personalized modifications, before you land a Cessna.
- Once in the pattern on a downwind leg for a landing, reduce airspeed. Between 65-75 knots with the flaps in the up position is a good speed.
- At a towered airport, call the tower once you are abeam the numbers. The tower may want you to extend your downwind leg and may call your turn. Wait for their clearance to land instructions.
- Before turning base, add ten degrees of flaps. After flaps have deployed turn to the base leg.
Before turning final, add additional flaps. After flaps are in position turn final.
- On final reduce airspeed to 60-70 knots, and apply full flaps if needed. Land a Cessna with a consistent speed.
- Adjust the elevator trim if you are fighting with the yoke. Maintain the airspeed before you land a Cessna.
- Touchdown on the main wheels first. Hold the yoke back for as long as possible to keep the nosewheel off of the ground.
- Gently lower the nosewheel as you roll. As you land a Cessna make this transition as smooth as possible.
- Apply braking as needed.
Always get proper instruction from a flight instructor on how to land a Cessna 172 Skyhawk, and join an aviation group for additional aviation information.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
What Your Jeans Tell Her About You
You might be little spoon or perhaps a Belieber. Or, if you’re lucky, one popular country star.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Why Most Men Should Never Wear Timberlands
Unless you're doing some sort of manual labor, say goodbye to these boots.