Whether you’re just starting out or are already a seasoned professional, knowing how to lift weights properly is a critical aspect to exercising. Knowing the proper way to lift weights can increase the effectiveness of exercising and avoid injury. Weight lifting can be fun and a great way to lose weight and keep it off. Getting started by learning the proper methods will help make this activity fun and effective.
- Warm up before lifting weights. Light walking or jogging for five minutes before lifting weights and exercising gets the blood flowing to the muscles and gives a light stretch. This helps promote better exercising and reduces the chance of muscle injuries.
- Using the proper weight for your abilities. Starting off with the proper weight is critical. Too much weight and you risk injury; too little weight may not work the muscles enough to gain any benefits. When lifting weights, find a weight that can be controlled through eight to fifteen repetitions depending on your goals.
- Use proper form for lifting weights. Always maintain a straight back, do not lock your elbows or strain your neck. Never let momentum move the weight. If you are not in control of the weight a serious injury can occur. Do not jerk the weight; always use smooth controlled motions when lifting.
- Move the weight in slow, controlled motions. Exhale on the lifting motion and inhale when returning to the starting position. This helps give extra power during the weight lifting phase. Use a one second lift and two seconds to return the weight to the starting position. This ensures the controlled, smooth movement of the weight.
- Use a full range of motion. When pushing or pulling the weight, move it as far as possible without overextending. You should feel a slight stretch from the starting position. Extend it to the top of the lift fully. Returning the weight to the starting position, feel the slight stretch, then pause for a moment and lift again.
- Pay attention to the muscles used. When lifting and returning, pay attention to the muscles you are working. Focus your attention on working the muscles intended for the lift that you are doing. An example of this is when doing a bench press; focus on using the pectoral muscles of the chest when lifting the barbell or dumbbells.
- Always breathe when lifting weights. Breathing is very important when lifting weights. Make sure to continue breathing through all repetitions and do not hold your breath. Breathing speeds oxygen to your muscles while you lift weights.
Your weight training results depend on your goals, the weight lifted and the number of repetitions. A general rule of thumb is the higher the weight, the less the repetitions for strength; if the weight is lower, a higher number of repetitions should be done for endurance and a middle ground for size.
Proper nutrition is a key to muscle growth and fitness. Eating right is considered to be almost sixty to seventy percent of the effectiveness when lifting weights.
Proper form is always better than the amount of weight lifted. Proper form ensures the maximum results for muscle growth and strength gains. Focusing on the weight instead of the form will almost certainly result in an injury.
Learning how to properly lift weights can enhance your exercising and lifting experience and also gives better results. Proper form, technique and breathing will help create the results you want from lifting weights. Weightlifting exercises are a great way to build strength and lean muscle while burning fat.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
13 Things to Look Forward to in Your 30s
You’ve probably been told that your 20s will be the best years of your life. As someone in their 30s, I can tell you honestly that nothing could be further from the truth. Here are ...
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor ...
Remember when Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman made all that noise—and news—before the Super Bowl? We had the story long before the season even started, trailing him all over Se ...