Have you ever found a great pair of jeans that fit just right, but don't like the wash so you wanted to know how to lighten it? Maybe you found a deal that is just too good to pass up. Well, that's no problem! You can lighten the jeans yourself! Distressed denim is all the rage. You can get the designer look yourself! With simple distressing techniques, you can easily transform any pair of jeans.
In order to lighten jeans you will need:
- Pair of jeans
- Liquid dish detergent (avoid the yellow kind)
- Garbage bag
- Pumice Stone
- Fabric Softener
- Hydrogen Peroxide
- Prepare the jeans. Lay the jeans on a flat surface with the garbage back underneath.
- Apply the detergent. Squirt the liquid dish detergent freely on the jeans. If you want, you can even make a design. Rub the detergent in with your hands.
- Sit and distress. Allow to sit for several minutes. Then, rub the pumice stone all over the jeans. This is how you distress the denim.
- Soak and repeat. Let the jeans soak in the detergent for 1-2 hours. Apply more detergent and repeat the process one more time.
Wash. Prepare the washing machine by adding double the amount of fabric softener you would normally use. Add about 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide to the wash. Use hot water and the stain cycle to wash the jeans.
- Dry. Once the jeans are washed, place them in the dryer. Tumble dry on low.
You can go a step further in creating that designer denim look by using a seam ripper. Stab small holes in the jeans. Use your hands to rip the areas. Now you have the know-how to create beautiful trendy jeans anytime you want!
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Russell Peters interviews entertainers about all sorts of topics, neither the drinks nor the conversation is wate …
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
What Your Shoes Tell Her About You
How footwear can kick-start your dating game—or kick dirt on your grave.