How To Locate The Prostate In Obese Men
Performing a rectal digital examination and knowing how to locate the prostate in obese men is generally harder to do because of the extra fatty tissues. The rectal exam to locate the prostate is done the same way for any body size with a little adaptations to positioning.
To locate the prostate in obese men, you will need:
- Soap and water
- Medical gloves
- Explain all procedures and purposes of the exam. This will help put the patient at ease while having an uncomfortable procedure done.
- Washing hands thoroughly. Even though you will have your hands covered in gloves it’s always best to wash your hands before and after any type of procedures.
- The obese patient will need to stand while having a digital rectal exam. Have your patient stand while having them slightly bend over a table. You will need to spread the gluteal cheeks or ask for assistance from another medical personal to possibly hold open the gluteal cheeks during the examination. By having the patient lean this helps direct the prostate towards you during an exam.
- Locating the actual prostate. To locate position your finger palm side down then palpate the posteriorly. The prostate should be around two to four cm long and have a triangular shape. The prostate should be firm and rubbery.
- There are a few examples when a doctor will not be able to locate the prostate in an obese patient. These examples are the examiner having to short of fingers, the prostate is too large, or the gluteal cheeks are also to large. In this event you will have to make sure you do the best you can and have the patient lean over an exam table, taking your left arm while wrapping it around the patient’s waist this enables you to draw the patient towards you while you push with the examination finger.