After taking a nice spill resulting in broken skin and blood loss you may wonder, “How long does it take for a scab to heal?” The answer to that question depends on how you care for it, but in short, after a week or two the scab should heal over.
- It is important to clean the wound shortly after injury. Dirt and bacteria can cause an infection taking causing it longer to heal and go away. Rinse the wound with warm water and wash with an anti-bacterial soap.
- Use an anti-bacterial spray. The spray will go a step further to insure the no bacteria or germs are getting into the broken skin. Keeping the area clean speeds up healing.
- A scab forms as the wound dries. The blood cells, called platelets, cause the wound to clot. The cells stick together creating bearer to keep more blood from pumping out and dirt and bacteria from getting in. The blood dries hard and often is red or brown in color. Underneath the scab the skin cells work to repair themselves.
- Avoid picking at the scab. It is tempting to want to pull the scab off. This prolongs the healing process because the cells are unable to do their jobs. Letting the scab stay in place gives the repairing cells a safe place to mend the damaged skin and blood vessels.
- Bandages are not needed. The scab itself acts as a bandage. Putting one will not allow the wound to get the oxygen needed for repair.
- Continue to keep the area clean. Be sure to clean the scab every day, but be gentle and don’t rip off the scab during the cleaning process. Apply more anti-bacterial spray if need.
- After two weeks the scab should go away. If the scab has not gone or way or is starting to look infected, seek the care of a medical professional.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Acting, comedy and strong spirits converge in Speakeasy. When host Paul F. Tompkins interviews entertainers—Key and Peele, Alison Brie, Rob Delaney, Zach Galifianakis—about all sor …
Emma Watson and Other Child Stars Who Grew Up To Be Hot
Throughout the Harry Potter film series, we've seen Emma Watson transform from a lovable child star into a burgeoning sex symbol. She's not the first actress to do so, and she cert …
10 Things Women Expect Men to Know How to Do
To make ladies swoon or at least not cringe, master these skills. (Yes, several are car-related.)