Almost everyone wonders how to look thin or, at least, thinner. If you're pushing 300 pounds, you're not going to look like Daniel Craig or Kate Moss no matter what you do, but even at that weight you can employ strategies to look as thin as possible. Here are a few tips anyone can use to slim down his/her silhouette.
- Wear clothes that fit. Nobody likes having to go up a size or three, but trying to fit yourself into your college jeans only emphasizes your extra weight. When you try on clothes, grab the size you think you are, one size smaller and one size larger. When you go into the fitting room, try the three different sizes on without looking at which size is which. Buy the one that allows you to breath, sit, bend over and raise your arms above your head without catastrophe. Wearing something that's too small can make you look like poorly stuffed sausage and wearing something too big will only add bulk, but wearing something that truly fits will instantly help make you look thin.
- Avoid styles that add bulk. Military-type coats with dozens of outside pockets are trendy, but adds volume to your profile. Stick to simple styles that create long, clean, vertical lines if you want to look thin.
- Avoid materials that add bulk. A heavy cable-knit sweater may be warm and cozy, but it instantly adds inches to your torso. Go with a good cashmere blend to stay warm and look thin.
- Don't wear turtlenecks or high collars. They make your face look rounder. A V-neck or boat-neck shirt or sweater will flatter your face and elongate your neck.
- Avoid flared or skinny jeans. Flared jeans make your legs look shorter and skinny jeans are pretty much a bad idea for anyone who's worried about looking thin. Straight leg jeans create a long, slimming, vertical line that will make you look taller and thinner.
- Cover problem areas. If you carry your extra weight in your arms, wear three-quarter length sleeves (even in the summer).
- Invest in support garments. Engineers have spent a lot of time and money on miraculous spandex undergarments designed to help you look thin. Use them.
- Stand up straight. Good posture gives you the illusion of being taller than you actually are, which makes you look thinner.
- Cut back on salt. There's very little you can do to lose weight quickly that's healthy, but you can cut down on your salt intake. It won't help you lose fat, but it will help you get rid of any unnecessary water weight you're carrying. Just make sure to drink plenty of fluids. You can easily lose two to three pounds in just a couple of days by jettisoning a high-salt diet.
- Wear black. It's a cliche, but it works. Black is slimming.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
How to End Awkward Handshakes
A short illustrated history of when to use what.
14 Things to Look Forward to in Your 40s
The door is wide open to say and do anything you want. Such as the following...
The Modern Gentleman’s Guide to Casual Sex
Studies show your fling has an assumption about how things will go. Prove them wrong.