If you're suffering from Graves' disease, you may be wondering how to lose weight with Graves Disease. Graves' disease is an auto-immune disease that can cause hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism is a condition that increases the metabolism. Typically, people with untreated Graves' disease often lose weight without trying. Once diagnosed, treatment begins. The treatment makes losing weight much more difficult. Even though losing weight with Graves' disease is a challenge, it is not impossible. As long as you stick to the proper weight loss regimen, the pounds will begin to drop in no time.
- Keep a food log. One of the reasons people tend to gain weight during treatment for Graves' disease is because they lose conception of what normal eating is. They are use to being able to eat whatever they want and still lose, before diagnosis. By keeping track of everything you put into your mouth, you will know exactly how many calories you are consuming. Some people tend to grab handfuls of snacks like chips, pretzels, or candies. The calories in a mere handful can really add up. Think about this, a serving of chips is normally 9-12 chips. One single serving packs 150 calories. In order to gain a pound, you need to consume 3600 more calories than you are burning. By adding the extra 150 calories here and there, you can easily gain a pound or more in a single week.
- Eat whole grains. Complex carbohydrates actually aid in weight loss. Switch to whole wheat bread instead of white bread for breakfast. Opt for brown rice over white rice. Whole grain products are also more nutritious. Carbohydrates are good in moderation. You don't want to take in empty carbohydrates, though. Make sure everything you put in your mouth has some nutritional value.
- Add fiber. Fiber is great because it makes you feel full faster and help with the digestion process. Fiber even helps lower cholesterol and prevent certain diseases. Whole grain foods contain plenty of fiber. Dried fruit, green vegetables, dried beans, and nuts are all rich in fiber.
- Eat lean meat. Eat lean grilled or steamed chicken and fish. Fish is a great choice because it is rich in omega-3 fatty acid. You need protein to build muscle mass. Lean meat is full of important nutrients like B vitamins. The vitamins help the body's metabolism and also aid in red blood cell formation.
- Drink plenty of water. Since most of the body is made of water, it is only natural to replenish the supply. Drink water throughout the day and after each meal. Water will help flush out toxins and waste.
- Exercise. As long as you get moving and the blood starts flowing, it doesn't matter what type of exercise you do. Try going for a walk, dancing to your favorite song, or even household chores. Be sure to take it slow. You want to gradually increase the amount of exercise you do, in order to avoid overworking yourself.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
Sarah Huckabee Sanders Dropped a Whopper, but It’s Not One o...
Prep for these fibs. Ladies will thank you, and that’s the truth.
15 Women Confess the One Thing They’d Never Admit to T...
"I masturbate any opportunity I get when he is not home.”
Brace Yourself for the Most Overrated Wrestlers of All Time
Let the outrage begin!