How to lose weight with a slow thyroid is not an easy task. Hypothyroidism slows metabolism to the point where the body can sometimes gain weight at a fast rate, which can be very alarming. If a person tries to cut their calories too drastically in order to lose weight, it can backfire since too little calorie consumption can make the body think it is in a "hoard mode" and slow the metabolism to make up for less available energy.
What are some of the things that you can do to work along with your slow thyroid and lose weight?
- Compose your menus to incorporate 40% protein, 25% fat, 35% carbohydrates and only 300 calories per meal.
- Eat small meals spread out five or six times over the day so that your metabolism will stay steady.
- Do not cut your calories at other meals and then eat a calorie-filled hearty meal at one time.
- You must seriously limit your intake of starches and sugar, pasta, potatoes, rice, white breads, peas, corn, desserts, dairy products, meats, and high sugar fruits. Shift to fish, chicken, turkey, vegetables that are non-starchy, legumes, and grains.
- Drink lots of water and also include 20 to 35 grams of fiber each day.
- If you are taking a thyroid hormone, do NOT take it at the same time as a calcium supplement, calcium-fortified orange juice, or a soy product because those could interfere with your hormone's effectiveness.
- Some doctors state that a person has a weight "set point" just like we have a temperature "set point" of 98.6. If you regularly take in more calories than you burn off, the metabolic resistance loses its strength and your body determines a new higher "set point".
- Try to avoid stress because that reduces the release of serotonin. It is recommended that one stimulates serotonin by a minimum of 30 minutes of aerobic activity five times a week.
- You must be extra careful about eating the wrong carbohydrates because hypothyroidism slows down the body's ability to process those carbohydrates.
- Your goal should be not to be overweight for any extended period of time because then it becomes extremely difficult to lose weight later. People with a slow thyroid often have to reduce their calories by 500 to 600 calories a day and exercise for an hour or two per day just to keep from gaining weight.
Know that losing weight with a slow thyroid is a real challenge but that you can control that with patience, hard work, and knowledge.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
10 Types of Tattoos Women Love
That dumb bet you lost in college? It’s actually endearing.
Pro Wrestling Tales That Will Make You Feel Like Fighting
Don't get too riled up.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.