Knowing how to lower cholesterol without medication may save your life because high levels of cholesterol in the blood may lead to a heart attack. Cholesterol can build up in the arteries and cause them to become narrow. Over time, if nothing is done, clots will form and the artery will become too narrow for the blood to move through, causing a heart attack.
To learn how to lower cholesterol without medication, you will need:
- Raw fruits and vegetables
- Whole grain foods
An aid to quit smoking
- Commit to eating less red meat and more grilled or baked chicken and fish. Red meat is higher in fat and has been shown to be a contributing factor in a shortened life when eaten more than three times a week. Fish like salmon are actually good for the heart and will lengthen your life.
- Eat more raw fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Raw fruits and vegetables contain natural enzymes that become lost in cooking. These enzymes nourish all the systems of the body. High fiber whole grain foods like oatmeal have been proven to lower cholesterol levels. Changing your diet is the best way to learn how to lower cholesterol without medication.
- Avoid the bad fats called Trans fats. Foods and oils containing trans fats will always list "hydrogenated oil" or "partially hydrogenated oil" in the ingredients. This type of fat will raise the "bad cholesterol" levels in the blood immediately after you eat them. Use oils that are heart-friendly, such as extra virgin olive oil. Stay away from all fried foods when learning how to lower cholesterol without medication.
- Smoking cigarettes is a major cause of high cholesterol and plaque buildup in the arteries. Even if you don't have very high cholesterol levels yet, quitting smoking can add years to your life and increase the quality of your life.
- Limit cholesterol intake by eating less eggs, organ meats, and whole milk. These three food sources have the highest levels of naturally occurring cholesterol. Instead use egg substitutes and skim milk. Learning how to lower cholesterol without medication means never eating high cholesterol foods.
- Getting more exercise is how to lower cholesterol without medication. Exercise will raise the "good cholesterol" levels in your blood. Going for walks every other day. Working up to 30 or 60 minutes at a time will be all that is needed.
When learning how to lower cholesterol without medication, always consult your doctor before starting any exercise program or stopping any prescribed medications.
What Others Are Reading Right Now.
6 Signs She Wants You to Come Talk to Her at the Bar
These not-so-subtle hints mean legit interest—and time for action.
How to Turn (Almost) Every Lady’s Head
Top female stylists share their favorite men’s looks.
The 7 Best Exercises to Build Arms That Turn Heads
Because who doesn’t want wicked big guns?