How To Maintain An Aquarium
Learning how to maintain an aquarium is not too hard if you follow these tips. Fish can be healthy and happy if you maintain it well and do the proper things needed to keep the aquarium running well. By following these simple tips you can learn to maintain an aquarium.
- Feed your fish daily or every other day. Make sure you do not over feed, if you over feed they can die. Give a small sprinkle of food daily, just enough for all the fish you have. This is key in maintaining your aquarium.
- Have the correct lighting. This is usually included when you purchase the tank. Have the light on during the day and turn it off at night. This will ensure healthy and happy fish.
- Get a decent sized tank. Remember the bigger and more fish you own the larger the tank needs to be. If you have a small tank then you should not have many fish.
- Check on them daily to make sure they are all healthy, well and no fish have died. Also make sure none of them look sick, as this can spread to all the fish in the tank. Note behaviors so when a fish is sick you will see it immediately.
- Consider an acquiring an algae eater. They are great for eating algae. Otherwise clean your tank weekly with a scrubber to ensure algae doesn’t build on the sides of the tank.
- Change water frequently. Be sure the water is warmer rather than cool, typically the same temperature at the tank water. It should be done weekly. This is important for maintaining an aquarium as fish can die if not properly cleaned.
- Purchase a vacuum for your tank. This is a good tool is sucking up debris, algae and anything else that is making the tank dirty. It can be purchased at most pet stores and will require a bucket to use. Once you know how to use it you can maintain your aquarium with it easily.
- Test the water regularly. Test PH balances, nitrate and ammonia. You can also purchase products to clear the water but follow the instructions as too much of a good thing can be toxic.
- Decorate your tank. Fish love to hide so purchase rocks, plants (live or plastic) and some nice decor. Prices range from low to high and you can make a nice aquarium with your purchases. It will make for happy fish.