How To Maintain A Good Relationship
Learning how to maintain a good relationship can really pay off. Everyone who is interested in being in a relationship wants it to be a good relationship. There are some key steps that you can take to make the relationship an enviable one.
- Stay connected. Everyone seems to have a busy schedule. But if you want to have a good relationship, you have to make it a priority. Even a simple hug or a wink can signal your connection to your partner. If you don’t have time to talk then send a text or write them a note.
- Fight fair. Unless one person in the relationship is a pushover, there are likely to be disagreements. Be sure you don’t do damage to the relationship during an argument. Take a time out, that doesn’t mean stalking out and slamming the door. Try closing your mouth and just listening to the other person. Make sure you only discuss the current problem and don’t dredge up past differences.
- Resist the impulse to criticize. The next time you are tempted to criticize, be demanding or put down your partner, stop and think. Even if you feel they need to make changes, almost no one makes changes based on criticism. Being supportive and letting them take charge of the changes they need to make will lead to more lasting changes than nitpicking ever will. Most people do this on auto pilot, with the intention of being helpful. Just take a breath and vow to keep it to yourself if you want to have a good relationship.
- Keep the spark alive. Surprise your loved one with a note on their car, a CD with your song on it, or even a compliment. Keeping the flame glowing in a relationship doesn’t take as much as you think. But, it does take one of you to start fanning the flame.
- Respect makes a difference. You will see a dramatic improvement in your relationship with this one idea. Treat your significant other like someone you admire. Respect the decisions that they make. Pay respect to their families and friends. Listen respectfully to their ideas. The easiest way to get respect in a relationship is to give it.
Posted on: Oct. 10, 2010